ARTWORK BY: FILIPPA JEAN EDGHILL
Balanced Chakras lead to better overall energy. Clarity of mind, empowered ability, heightened senses, sharper intuition, easy creativity, and effortless expression are all available when the Chakras are balanced. Chakras can achieve optimal function through healing with aromatherapy, sound, yoga, and nutrition.
The Root Chakra is the 1rst Chakra and is located at the base of our spine. It is associated with foundation and stability. When balanced you will feel secure, calm, and anchored into reality. It is the key to feeling confident and pursuing new ventures with gusto. A misaligned Root Chakra will result in fear, anxiety, and depression. People will often feel a sense of powerlessness or as though they are not supported in life.
- Red is the ruling color of the Root Chakra. Eating protein-rich foods and root vegetables will help boost emotional stability. Root vegetables especially, there is no better food to help ground oneself than plants once enveloped by the ground itself. Great examples include tofu, green peas, spinach, almonds, beets, garlic, onions, and potatoes.
- Yoga postures such as seated forward folds are a great way to ground the chakra (literally). Be sure to breathe deeply and have a bolster or pillow to support the upper body. This way you can focus primarily on your breath and releasing yourself deeper into the fold.
- Speak grounding truths to yourself; “Wherever I am, I am safe and secure.” , “I am anchored to the Earth and fully supported.” , “I am deserving of receiving support whenever I am in need of it.”
The Sacral Chakra is the 2nd Chakra and is located just beneath the belly button. This Chakra is the inspiration for your creativity and sex drive. When balanced, creation and personal growth is often the outcome. Shame is the biggest disruptor for this Chakra, especially shame regarding one’s sexuality. This Chakra can become misaligned if you are unsatisfied in your relationship or struggling to experience earthly pleasure. The Sacral Chakra is often considered the “junk drawer” of the Chakras. This is where we store emotions and tensions that have yet to be resolved in other Chakra wheels.
- The ruling color of the Sacral Chakra is orange. Eating foods such as mangoes, oranges, carrots, peaches, and apricots will help replenish this Chakra. Foods also rich in Omega-3s, such as flax and chia seeds, help to balance this Chakra.
- Yoga postures such as Lizard and Pigeon will help release the hips and therefore offer a release of the Sacral Chakra. It isn’t uncommon for people to experience deep emotional release (i.e. crying) when in this posture. This is a positive experience and will help unburden you of the emotions responsible for blocking this chakra.
- Speak liberating truths to yourself; “I am alive, connected, and aware.” , “I give myself permission to enjoy my sexuality fully.” , “I embrace pleasure and abundance in all aspects of my life.”
THE SOLAR PLEXUS
The Solar Plexus Chakra is the 3rd Chakra and resides in the navel area of the abdomen. This Chakra is primarily associated with confidence, self-esteem, and determination. When this chakra is aligned you will exercise more control over your thoughts, emotional responses, boundaries, and experience peace with who you are. It is physically associated with digestion, so issues such as ulcers, indigestion, or eating disorders may arise if misaligned. The emotional responses to an unbalanced Solar Plexus Chakra are controlling or competitive behavior, and insecurity provoked by anxiety or fear.
- The ruling color for the Solar Plexus Chakra is yellow. Foods rich in protein and fiber help soothe and balance this Chakra. For example, whole grains such as oats, spelt, rice, and farro is ideal for cultivating energy to offset any fatigue. While bananas and pineapple are also beneficial for those with indigestion.
- When you trust your instincts you are intrinsically connected to the Solar Plexus Chakra. Incorporating yoga postures that foster this bond are vital to balancing and restoring this Chakra. Yoga sequences like sun salutations and postures such as bow and boat pose help strengthen and balance the core. This balance of the physical core helps to balance and restore the subtle core (ie. The Solar Plexus Chakra)
- Speak truths that instill you with confidence and control; “I act with courage and strength.” , “I choose health, healing, and happiness.” , “I respect myself and I am confident in all that I do.”
The Heart Chakra is the 4th Chakra and is located in the center of the chest. This Chakra is responsible for the love of ourselves and others. When balanced, compassion, empathy, forgiveness, and acceptance will influence decision making. This will encourage a harmonious exchange of energy with others and the environment. However, when misaligned emotions such as defensiveness, jealousy, codependency, and victimization occur. The Heart Chakra on a physical level is associated with the heart and lungs. An imbalance can lead to respiratory, circulatory, and heart-related illness.
- The ruling color for the Heart Chakra is green. Leafy and cruciferous vegetables with help restore and balance this Chakra. Incorporate kale, spinach, and broccoli into the diet via smoothies, salads, or side dishes. One important fact to remember is that most leafy greens have limited bioavailability of calcium due to high levels of oxalates. Lightly cooking these greens will increase our bodies absorption of these vital minerals.
- Yoga postures that lead with the heart are optimal for balancing and restoring this Chakra. This why upward facing dog, camel and fish pose are considered heart openers. When we lead with the heart in the physical body it empowers us to lead with the heart energetically in the subtle body.
- Speak loving truths to yourself; “I forgive myself and others, completely and unconditionally.” , “Love is my guiding truth.” , “I am grateful for all of my blessings.”
The Throat Chakra is the 5th Chakra and is located exactly where it implies. This Chakra rules expression, connection, communication, and listening. This communication is about expressing yourself; be it through your truth, creativity, ideas, or purpose in life. A balanced Throat Chakra allows you to authentically project all of this out into the universe. When we engage this Chakra at its highest form we empower others to share their voice as well. The Throat Chakra on a physical level is associated with the throat, mouth, jaw, and tongue. An unbalanced Throat Chakra results in timidness, introversion, and silence.
- The ruling color of the Throat Chakra is blue. Foods such as blueberries and blackberries fit this color profile and restore energy to this Chakra. When used in coalition with soothing liquids like coconut water, herbal teas, and honey balance and restoration is provided.
- Yoga postures that help balance and support the Throat Chakra are plow pose, legs up the wall, and fish pose. A Yoga series like cat-cow should be added to any flow practice. These movements help support throat flexion and extension and that in turn creates a balance.
- Speak your personal truths! There is no affirmation I could give you for this. This is solely reliant upon expressing what is most authentic to you. To identify and express your thoughts and feelings effectively, ask yourself these three questions. How do I feel? What am I holding onto? What can I let go of?
THE THIRD EYE
The Third Eye Chakra is the 6th Chakra and is located between the eyebrows. This Chakra is the center of foresight and intuition. This Chakra on a physical level is associated with the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland controls your immune response, sleep cycle, and your overall metabolic rate. If unbalanced, this Chakra can cause serious havoc through illness, insomnia, and unexplained weight gain. However, when the Third Eye Chakra is balanced illusions are dispelled to reveal hidden truths. This allows us to acknowledge the underlying intention that is often lost through our own limited perceptions. When your Third Eye is open it questions self-limiting idealizations. You will not only begin to see things in a new light but understand them in a new light as well. The Third Eye reveals that the truth is not one dimensional but multifaceted.
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and ideas of right doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.” ~ Rumi
- The ruling color of the Third Eye is indigo. Therefore, consuming plants with a similar color profile will help restore and balance energy to the Third Eye Chakra. Incorporating purple kale, purple cabbage, eggplant, and radishes into the diet will be beneficial for this Chakra.
- Yoga Postures such as humble warrior, wide legged forward fold, dolphin pose, and twisted lunge will help activate this chakra. The eye-gaze and hand clasps in these postures are essential to focus the energy of this Chakra.
- Speak self-assuring truths to yourself; “My intuition and awareness is a gift.” , “I invite sacred transformation.” , “I am connected to the divine source of the universe.”
THE CROWN CHAKRA
The Crown Chakra is the 7th Chakra and is located on top of the head. The physical association with this Chakra is the brain and nervous system, due mainly to its location. The nervous system is the connector of our physical body, without it, function would cease. This explains why the Crown Chakra is responsible for our connection with life force energy. Humanity and connection are the driving forces of this chakra. This allows us to exercise empathy for those of different races, creeds, genders, religions, and so forth. When balanced and functioning the Crown Chakra brings our humanity to the forefront and allows us to see the greater picture for all of mankind. However, imbalances can result in small-mindedness and produce judgemental thinking towards other forms of belief and spirituality.
- The ruling color of the Crown Chakra is violet. Therefore, including foods such as grapes, eggplant, purple carrots, and goji berries will help restore and balance this Chakra. Including herbs such as sage and juniper berries (no, not Gin) to dishes will also provide beneficial effects to the spiritual energy contained in this Chakra.
- The Crown Chakra is best supported by more meditational yoga postures, mainly Savasana (corpse pose). This posture can best be supported if used in collusion with a breathwork and sound bath class. The breathwork provides a physically demanding activity that takes up most of your focus. While the vibrations from the sound bath help ease you into a meditational state, thus opening your Crown Chakra.
- Speak these universal truths to yourself; “I am divinely guided and inspired.” , “My energy is infinite and boundless.” , “My energy is innate, it cannot be destroyed.”